Skip to Main Content
Bud removal affects shoot, root, and callus development of hardwood Populus cuttingsAuthor(s): A.H. Wiese; J.A. Zalesny; D.M. Donner; Ronald S., Jr. Zalesny
Source: Silvae Genetica. 55: 141-148.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (149.51 KB)
DescriptionThe inadvertent removal and/or damage of buds during processing and planting of hardwood poplar (Populus spp.) cuttings are a concern because of their potential impact on shoot and root development during establishment. The objective of the current study was to test for differences in shoot dry mass, root dry mass, number of roots, length of the longest root, and callus dry mass among ten poplar clones subjected to three pre-planting bud removal intensities (0%, 50%, 100%). The ten clones and their genomic groups were: DM115 (P. deltoides Bartr. ex Marsh x P. maximowiczii A. Henry); DN34, I45-51 (P. deltoides x P. nigra L.); NC13446, NC13563, NC13649, NC13685, NC13747 [(P. trichocarpa Torr. & Gray x P. deltoides) x P. deltoides]; and NM2, NM6 (P. nigra x P. maximowiczii).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWiese, A.H.; Zalesny, J.A.; Donner, D.M.; Zalesny, Ronald S., Jr. 2006. Bud removal affects shoot, root, and callus development of hardwood Populus cuttings. Silvae Genetica. 55: 141-148.
Keywordsadventitious rooting, hybrid poplar, preplanting treatment, vegetative propagation, Populus deltoides, P. nigra, P. maximowiczii, P. trichocarpa
- Soil temperature and precipitation affect the rooting ability of dormant hardwood cuttings of Populus
- Use of belowground growing degree days to predict rooting of dormant hardwood cuttings of Populus
- Differential interspecific incompatibility among Populus hybrids in sections Aigeiros Duby and Tacamahaca Spach
XML: View XML