Skip to Main Content
Dissolved organic nitrogen budgets for upland, forested ecosystems in New EnglandAuthor(s): John L. Campbell; James W. Hornbeck; William H. McDowell; Donald C. Buso; James B. Shanley; Gene E. Likens
Source: Biogeochemistry. 49: 123-142.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (108.16 KB)
DescriptionRelatively high deposition of nitrogen (N) in the northeastern United States has caused concern because sites could become N saturated. In the past, mass-balance studies have been used to monitor the N status of sites and to investigate the impact of increased N deposition. Typically, these efforts have focused on dissolved inorganic forms of N (DIN = NH4-N + NO3-N) and have largely ignored dissolved organic nitrogen (DON) due to difficulties in its analysis. Recent advances in the measurement of total dissolved nitrogen (TDN) have facilitated measurement of DON as the residual of TDN − DIN. We calculated DON and DIN budgets using data on precipitation and streamwater chemistry collected from 9 forested watersheds at 4 sites in New England.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCampbell, John L.; Hornbeck, James W.; McDowell, William H.; Buso, Donald C.; Shanley, James B.; Likens, Gene E. 2000. Dissolved organic nitrogen budgets for upland, forested ecosystems in New England. Biogeochemistry. 49: 123-142.
KeywordsC:N ratio, dissolved organic carbon, dissolved organic nitrogen, nitrogen, stream chemistry, watershed
- Overstory vegetation influence nitrogen and dissolved organic carbon flux from the atmosphere to the forest floor: Boreal Plain, Canada
- Coupled cycling of dissolved organic nitrogen and carbon in a forest stream
- Seasonal ice and hydrologic controls on dissolved organic carbon and nitrogen concentrations in a boreal-rich fen
XML: View XML