Skip to Main Content
Regional assessment of N saturation using foliar and root δ15NAuthor(s): L.H. Pardo; P.H. Templer; C.L. Goodale; S. Duke; P.M. Groffman; M.B. Adams; P. Boeckx; J. Boggs; J. Campbell; B. Colman; J. Compton; B. Emmett; P. Gundersen; J. Kjonaas; G. Lovett; M. Mack; A. Magill; M. Mbila; M.J. Mitchell; G. McGee; S. McNulty; K. Nadelhoffer; S. Ollinger; D. Ross; H. Rueth; L. Rustad; P. Schaberg; S. Schiff; P. Schleppi; J. Spoelstra; W. Wessel
Source: Biogeochemistry. 80: 143-171.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (989.97 KB)
DescriptionN saturation induced by atmospheric N deposition can have serious consequences for forest health in many regions. In order to evaluate whether foliar δ15N may be a robust, regional-scale measure of the onset of N saturation in forest ecosystems, we assembled a large dataset on atmospheric N deposition, foliar and root δ15N and N concentration, soil C:N, mineralization and nitrification. The dataset included sites in northeastern North America, Colorado, Alaska, southern Chile and Europe.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPardo, L.H.; Templer, P.H.; Goodale, C.L.; Duke, S.; Groffman, P.M.; Adams, M.B.; Boeckx, P.; Boggs, J.; Campbell, J.; Colman, B.; Compton, J.; Emmett, B.; Gundersen, P.; Kjonaas, J.; Lovett, G.; Mack, M.; Magill, A.; Mbila, M.; Mitchell, M.J.; McGee, G.; McNulty, S.; Nadelhoffer, K.; Ollinger, S.; Ross, D.; Rueth, H.; Rustad, L.; Schaberg, P.; Schiff, S.; Schleppi, P.; Spoelstra, J.; Wessel, W. 2006. Regional assessment of N saturation using foliar and root δ15N. Biogeochemistry. 80: 143-171.
Keywords15N, fine roots, forests, N deposition, natural abundance
- Triple nitrate isotopes indicate differing nitrate source contributions to streams across a nitrogen saturation gradient
- A multi-isotope approach for assessing industrial contributions to atmospheric nitrogen deposition in the Athabasca oil sands region in Alberta, Canada
- Do nutrient limitation patterns shift from nitrogen toward phosphorus with increasing nitrogen deposition across the northeastern United States?
XML: View XML