Skip to Main Content
Effects of Temperature and Adult Diet on Development of Hypertrophied Fat Body in Prediapausing Boll Weevil (Coleoptera Curculionidae)Author(s): Terence L. Wagner; Eric J. Villavaso
Source: Annals of the Entomoligical Society of America Vol. 92, no. 3 pgs. 403-413 May 1999
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (371 KB)
DescriptionThis study examines the effects of temperature and adult diet on the development of hypertrophied fat bodies in prediapausing adult boll weevils, Anthonomus grandis grandis Boheman. Simulation models derived from this work are used to estimate the minimal ages at which male and female boll weevils exhibit diapause morphology, based on conditions in north Mississippi. The models assume that temperature is the principal independent variable regulating fat body development, that food is not limited, and, once the internal characteristics of diapause are expressed, that the weevil will leave the field in search of overwintering quarters. The information derived from the simulations was used to propose spray intervals for diapause control.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWagner, Terence L.; Villavaso, Eric J. 1999. Effects of Temperature and Adult Diet on Development of Hypertrophied Fat Body in Prediapausing Boll Weevil (Coleoptera Curculionidae). Annals of the Entomoligical Society of America Vol. 92, no. 3 pgs. 403-413 May 1999
KeywordsAnthonomus grandis grandis, adult prediapause development, cotton, simulation model
- Diapause in the Boll Weevil (Coleopetra: Curculionidae) : Life-Stage Sensitivity to Enviromental Cues
- Diapause in the Boll Weevil (Coleoptera: Curculionidae): Seasonal Occurrence in Mississippi Populations
- Respiration Rates of Resproductively Active and Diapausing Boll Weevils
XML: View XML