Skip to Main Content
Soil temperature and precipitation affect the rooting ability of dormant hardwood cuttings of PopulusAuthor(s): R.S., Jr. Zalesny; R.B. Hall; E.O. Bauer; D.E. Riemenschneider
Source: Silvae Genetica. 54: 47-58.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (913.55 KB)
DescriptionIn addition to genetic control, responses to environmental stimuli affect the success of rooting. Our objectives were to: 1) assess the variation in rooting ability among 21 Populus clones grown under varying soil temperatures and amounts of precipitation and 2) identify combinations of soil temperature and precipitation that promote rooting. The clones belonged to five genomic groups ([P. trichocarpa Torr. & Gray x P. deltoides Bartr. ex Marsh] x P. deltoides 'BC'; P. deltoides 'D'; P. deltoides x P. maximowiczii A. Henry 'DM'; P. deltoides x P. nigra L. 'DN'; P. nigra x maximowiczii 'NM').
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZalesny, R.S., Jr.; Hall, R.B.; Bauer, E.O.; Riemenschneider, D.E. 2005. Soil temperature and precipitation affect the rooting ability of dormant hardwood cuttings of Populus. Silvae Genetica. 54: 47-58.
Keywordshybrid poplar, growing degree days, adventitious rooting, Populus deltoides, P. nigra, P. maximowiczii, P. trichocarpa
- Bud removal affects shoot, root, and callus development of hardwood Populus cuttings
- Use of belowground growing degree days to predict rooting of dormant hardwood cuttings of Populus
- Differential interspecific incompatibility among Populus hybrids in sections Aigeiros Duby and Tacamahaca Spach
XML: View XML