Skip to Main Content
Shoot position affects root initiation and growth of dormant unrooted cuttings of PopulusAuthor(s): R.S., Jr. Zalesny; R.B. Hall; E.O. Bauer; D.E. Riemenschneider
Source: Silvae Genetica. 52: 273-279.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (455.54 KB)
DescriptionRooting of dormant unrooted cuttings is crucial to the commercial deployment of intensively cultured poplar (Populus spp.) plantations because it is the first biological prerequisite to stand establishment. Rooting can be genetically controlled and subject to selection. Thus, our objective was to test for differences in rooting ability among cuttings from three positions on cutting orchard plants of five genomic groups ([Bartr. ex Marsh x P. trichocarpa Torr. & Gray P. deltoides] x P. deltoides 'BC', P. deltoides 'D;, P. deltoides H P. maximowiczii A. Henry 'DM', P. deltoides x P. nigra L. 'DN', P. nigra x P. maximowiczii 'NM').
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZalesny, R.S., Jr.; Hall, R.B.; Bauer, E.O.; Riemenschneider, D.E. 2003. Shoot position affects root initiation and growth of dormant unrooted cuttings of Populus. Silvae Genetica. 52: 273-279.
KeywordsPoplar, lateral rooting, adventitious rooting, rooting ability, short rotation intensive culture
- Bud removal affects shoot, root, and callus development of hardwood Populus cuttings
- Soil temperature and precipitation affect the rooting ability of dormant hardwood cuttings of Populus
- Use of belowground growing degree days to predict rooting of dormant hardwood cuttings of Populus
XML: View XML