Skip to Main Content
Variable response by aquatic invertebrates to experimental manipulations of leaf litter input into seasonal woodland pondsAuthor(s): Darold P. Batzer; Brian J. Palik
Source: Fundamental and Applied Limnology. 168: 155-162.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (331.59 KB)
DescriptionAquatic invertebrates are crucial components of foodwebs in seasonal woodland ponds, and leaf litter is probably the most important food resource for those organisms. We quantified the influence of leaf litter inputs on aquatic invertebrates in two seasonal woodland ponds using an interception experiment. Ponds were hydrologically split using a sandbag-plastic barrier, and a mesh canopy was suspended over one-half of each pond to intercept autumn leaf fall for four years. Subsequently the mesh canopies were removed so recovery could be assessed.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBatzer, Darold P.; Palik, Brian J. 2007. Variable response by aquatic invertebrates to experimental manipulations of leaf litter input into seasonal woodland ponds. Fundamental and Applied Limnology. 168: 155-162.
Keywordscommunity ecology, detritus, litter exclusion, seasonal ponds, wetlands
- Stream invertebrate productivity linked to forest subsidies: 37 stream-years of reference and experimental data
- The trophic role of a forest salamander: impacts on invertebrates, leaf litter retention, and the humification process
- Influences of upland timber harvest on aquatic invertebrate communities in seasonal ponds: efficacy of forested buffers
XML: View XML