Skip to Main Content
Use of culture filtrates of Ceratocystis ulmi as a bioassay to screen for disease tolerant Ulmus americanaAuthor(s): Paula M. Pijut; Subash C. Domir; R. Daniel Lineberger; Lawrence R. Schreiber
Source: Plant Science. 70: 191-196.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (417.65 KB)
DescriptionCallus cultures of elm (Ulmus americana L.) derived from Dutch elm disease susceptible, intermediate-resistant, and resistant genotypes were exposed to the culture filtrates of three pathogenic isolates of Ceratocystis ulmi, the causal agent of Dutch elm disease. Callus fresh weights, cell viability, and reactions of stem cuttings were determined after exposure to various concentrations of the filtrates. Calli from the susceptible elm failed to increase in fresh weight and lost viability after exposure to media containing culture filtrate. Calli from the resistant and the intermediate-resistant elms exhibited growth rates and maintained viability similar to controls not exposed to culture filtrate. Stem cuttings of the susceptible elm wilted after exposure to the culture filtrate. The symptoms were similar to wilt seen with the disease. Cuttings from the resistant elm had no disease symptoms whereas, the intermediate elm had some leaf chlorosis. Callus screening may thus be useful for selection of Ulmus germplasm for Dutch elm disease resistance.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPijut, Paula M.; Domir, Subash C.; Lineberger, R. Daniel; Schreiber, Lawrence R. 1990. Use of culture filtrates of Ceratocystis ulmi as a bioassay to screen for disease tolerant Ulmus americana. Plant Science. 70: 191-196.
KeywordsUlmus americana, Ceratocystis ulmi, elm callus, culture filtrate, dutch elm disease
- Ultrastructure of cells of Ulmus americana cultured in vitro and exposed to the culture filtrate of Ceratocystis ulmi
- Use of protoplast, cell, and shoot tip culture in an elm germ plasm improvement program
- Establishment and characterization of American elm cell suspension cultures
XML: View XML