Skip to Main Content
Cytochrome P450 Monooxygenase Activity in the Dark Southern Subterranean Termite (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae)Author(s): Steven M. Valles; Weste L.A. Osbrink; Faith M. Oi; Richard J. Brenner; Janine E. Powell
Source: J. Econ. Entomol. 91(5): 1131-1135 (1998)
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (305 KB)
DescriptionMicrosomal oxidases were characterized using surrogate substrates in the economically important dark southern subterranean termite, Reticulitermes virginicus (Banks). Aldrin epoxitlase activity required NADPH and was inhibited by carbon monoxide and piperonyl butoxide (I50 = 4.72 (+,-) 0.31 X 1O-10 M), indicating that the enzyme(s) involved was a cytochrome P150 monooxygenase. Aldrin epoxidase activity was highest at 22°C and pH 7.2. Also, the activity was linear up to 0.5 mg of protein per incubate and increased with reaction time up to 15 min. Although neither substrate nor cofactor was found to be a limiting factor, aldrin epoxidase activity failed to produce a linear response with respect to time at temperatures >22oC, indicating enzyme inhibition. Although increased incubation temperature >22oC resulted in decreased aldrin epoxidase activity, similar heat treatments did not result in a concomitant increase in cytochrome P420. Significant variation (2.7-fold) in aldrin epoxidase activity was observed among 4 R. virginicus colonies collected from different locations in Florida. Additionally, cytochrome P450 and b5, content, cytochrome c reductase, and methoxyresorufin O-demethylase activities were measured in R. virginicus.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationValles, Steven M.; Osbrink, Weste L.A.; Oi, Faith M.; Brenner, Richard J.; Powell, Janine E. 1998. Cytochrome P450 Monooxygenase Activity in the Dark Southern Subterranean Termite (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae). J. Econ. Entomol. 91(5): 1131-1135 (1998)
KeywordsReticulitermes virginicus, termite, cytochrome P450, detoxication
- Heterologous production and characterization of two glyoxal oxidases from Pycnoporus cinnabarinus
- CO2 release in Groups of Reticulitermes virginicus (Isoptera:Rhinotermitidae)
- The response of heterotrophic activity and carbon cycling to nitrogen additions and warming in two tropical soils
XML: View XML