Skip to Main Content
Measurement guidelines for the sequestration of forest carbonAuthor(s): Timothy R.H. Pearson; Sandra L. Brown; Richard A. Birdsey
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-18. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 42 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (618.14 KB)
DescriptionMeasurement guidelines for forest carbon sequestration were developed to support reporting by public and private entities to greenhouse gas registries. These guidelines are intended to be a reference for designing a forest carbon inventory and monitoring system by professionals with a knowledge of sampling, statistical estimation, and forest measurements. This report provides guidance on defining boundaries; measuring, monitoring, and estimating changes in carbon stocks; implementing plans to measure and monitor carbon; and developing quality assurance and quality control plans to ensure credible and reproducible estimates of the carbon credits. Expected users include entities, e.g., individual landowners, industrial forestry companies and managers of utility company lands, within the United States who are interested in implementing forestry activities and projects designed to generate carbon credits that could be traded as an offset, or for registering carbon dioxide reductions using the U.S. Department of Energy 1605(b) voluntary reporting registry.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPearson, Timothy R.H.; Brown, Sandra L.; Birdsey, Richard A. 2007. Measurement guidelines for the sequestration of forest carbon. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-18. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 42 p.
Keywordsgreenhouse gas registries, carbon sequestration, forest measurements, carbon monitoring
- A description and comparison of selected forest carbon registries: a guide for States considering the development of a forest carbon registry
- Chapter 5. Using Habitat Models for Habitat Mapping and Monitoring
- Integrated natural resource monitoring on Army lands and its application to conservation of neotropical birds
XML: View XML