Skip to Main Content
Wood use by Ohio's Amish furniture clusterAuthor(s): Matthew Bumgardner; Robert Romig; William Luppold
Source: Forest Products Journal. 57(12): 6-12.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (530.86 KB)
DescriptionMuch has been reported regarding the decline of the U.S. wood furniture manufacturing industry. One segment that seems to be maintaining its competitiveness is the Amish-made furniture sector. The Amish traditionally have undertaken agriculture-related occupations (Stinner et al. 1989); however, as farmland has become increasingly scarce and expensive, and as the Amish population has grown, more are seeking opportunities in nonfarming occupations such as manufacturing (Lowery and Noble 2000, Amish.Net n.d. b). Amish-made furniture is an example of an emerging manufacturing sector, but like many Amish industries, one for which a dearth of information is available.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBumgardner, Matthew; Romig, Robert; Luppold, William. 2007. Wood use by Ohio''s Amish furniture cluster. Forest Products Journal. 57(12): 6-12.
- How clustering dynamics influence lumber utilization patterns in the Amish-based furniture industry in Ohio
- Opportunities for development of local forest markets: the case of Amish furniture manufacturing
- Decline in the U.S. furniture industry: a case study of the impacts to the hardwood lumber supply chain
XML: View XML