Skip to Main Content
Evaluating selected demographic factors related to consumer preferences for furniture from commercial and from underutilized speciesAuthor(s): David Nicholls; Matthew Bumgardner
Source: Forest Products Journal. 57(12): 79-82.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (76.79 KB)
DescriptionThis technical note describes consumer preferences within selected demographic categories in two major Pacific Northwest markets for six domestic wood species. These woods were considered for construction of four furniture pieces. Chi-square tests were performed to determine species preferences based on gender, age, and income. Age and income were statistically significant (with a stronger effect for age); gender was not significant. Older respondents preferred oak while younger respondents preferred spruce. Cherry was preferred by respondents in higher income categories and oak by respondents in lower income categories. Maple was preferred by younger male respondents, while birch was preferred by lower income males. Lastly, red alder was found to have lower preference among females in higher income categories. Such information is useful for considering the role that species choice can play in the development of customized products by the domestic furniture industry.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNicholls, David; Bumgardner, Matthew. 2007. Evaluating selected demographic factors related to consumer preferences for furniture from commercial and from underutilized species. Forest Products Journal. 57(12): 79-82.
- Evaluating selected demographic factors related to consumer preferences for furniture from commercial and from underutilized species.
- Effects of species information and furniture price on consumer preferences for selected woods
- Consumer preferences for kitchen cabinets made from red alder: a comparison to other hardwoods.
XML: View XML