Skip to Main Content
Identification of culturable stream water bacteria from urban, agricultural, and forested watersheds using 16S rRNA gene sequencingAuthor(s): Kenneth T. Belt; Christina Hohn; Aiah Gbakima; James A. Higgins
Source: Journal of Water and Health. 5(3): 395-406.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (349.05 KB)
DescriptionBacteria present in water samples taken on a weekly basis, from June 2004 through June 2005, from three streams, were cultured on Coliscan® Easygel® agar plates. Colonies representative of a variety of colors and morphologies were subjected to amplification and sequencing of a 1000-1100 nt portion of the 16S rRNA gene. A total of 528 colonies were sequenced; these categorized into 26 genera and 78 species. Of 175 dark blue/purple colonies presumed to be E. coli, sequence analysis indicated that 45 (25%) were actually other genera.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBelt, Kenneth T.; Hohn, Christina; Gbakima, Aiah; Higgins, James A. 2007. Identification of culturable stream water bacteria from urban, agricultural, and forested watersheds using 16S rRNA gene sequencing. Journal of Water and Health. 5(3): 395-406.
Keywords16S rRNA, bacterial identification, freshwater bacteria, stream flora
- Gut bacteria of bark and wood boring beetles
- Bacteria engineered for fuel ethanol production: current status
- Bacteria associated with larvae and adults of the Asian longhorned beetle (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae)
XML: View XML