Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Characterizing Virginia's Private Forest Owners and Their Forest LandsAuthor(s): Thomas W. Birch; Sandra S. Hodge; Michael T. Thompson
Source: Research Paper NE-707 Northeastern Reseach Station. USDA Forest Service. September 1998
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (296 KB)
DescriptionA recently completed forest inventory and two woodland owner surveys have given us insight about the owners of private forest lands in Virginia. There is increasing parcelization of forested lands and an increase in the number of nonindustrial private (NIPF) landowners in Virginia. More than half of the private owners have harvested timber from their holdings at some time in the past, and they control three-quarters of the private forest. Owners have a positive attitude toward timber cutting at a time when there is greater demand for products from the forest. In terms of decision making, private forest owners have control over marketed and non-marketed commodities. This situation needs monitoring to maintain good stewardship for future generations.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBirch, Thomas W.; Hodge, Sandra S.; Thompson, Michael T. 1998. Characterizing Virginia''s Private Forest Owners and Their Forest Lands. Research Paper NE-707 Northeastern Reseach Station. USDA Forest Service. September 1998
- Characterizing Virginia's private forest owners and their forest lands.
- Private forest owners of the Central Hardwood Forest
- The forest-land owners of West Virginia
XML: View XML