Skip to Main Content
Forest cover of Champaign County, Illinois in 1993Author(s): Jesus Danilo Chinea; Louis R. Iverson
Source: Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science. 90(1,2): 21-28.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (353.21 KB)
DescriptionThe forest cover of Champaign County, in east-central Illinois, was mapped from 1993 aerial photography and entered in a geographical information system database. One hundred and six forest patches cover 3,380 ha. These patches have a mean area of 32 ha, a mean perimeter of 4,851 m, a mean perimeter to area ratio of 237, a fractal dimension of 1.59, and a mean nearest neighbor distance of 620 m. However, only 480 ha can be considered interior forest. These results are compared with results of previous landscape level studies of Illinois, and the implications of these results for conservation and management of this landscape are discussed.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChinea, Jesus Danilo; Iverson, Louis R. 1997. Forest cover of Champaign County, Illinois in 1993. Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science. 90(1,2): 21-28.
- Spatial configuration and distribution of forest patches in Champaign County, Illinois: 1940 to 1993
- A preliminary assessment of Montreal process indicators of forest fragmentation for the United States
- A factor analysis of landscape pattern and structure metrics
XML: View XML