Skip to Main Content
Determining maximum stand density index in mixed species stands for strategic-scale stocking assessmentsAuthor(s): Chris W. Woodall; Patrick D. Miles; John S. Vissage
Source: Forest Ecology and Management 216 (2005) 367-377
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (306.14 KB)
DescriptionStand density index (SDI), although developed for use in even-aged monocultures, has been used for assessing stand density in large-scale forest inventories containing diverse tree species and size distributions. To improve application of SDI in unevenaged, mixed species stands present in large-scale forest inventories, trends in maximum SDI across diameter classes and species combinations were observed for eight common tree species of the United States. Additionally, the relationship between a stand`s mean specific gravity of component trees and maximum SDI was explored. Results indicate that the maximum SDI that any particular species may attain is affected to varying degrees by the species composition of subject stands. A strong relationship was found between the mean specific gravity of all trees in a stand and the 99th percentile of the observed distribution of stand SDI?s by classes of mean stand specific gravity. A model is proposed whereby the mean specific gravity of individual trees in a stand may serve as a predictor of a stand?s maximum stocking potential, regardless of the stand`s diameter distribution and species composition.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWoodall, Chris W.; Miles, Patrick D.; Vissage, John S. 2005. Determining maximum stand density index in mixed species stands for strategic-scale stocking assessments. Forest Ecology and Management 216 (2005) 367-377
KeywordsStand density index, mixed-species, uneven-aged, strategic-scale, Forest Inventory and Analysis
- New Method for Determining the Relative Stand Density of Forest Inventory Plots
- Stand density index in uneven-aged ponderosa pine stands
- The relative density of forests in the United States
XML: View XML