Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Modelling topographic potential for erosion and deposition using GISAuthor(s): Helena Mitasova; Louis R. Iverson
Source: International Journal of Geographical Information Systems. 10(5): 629-641.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (5.33 MB)
DescriptionModelling of erosion and deposition in complex terrain within a geographical information system (GIS) requires a high resolution digital elevation model (DEM), reliable estimation of topographic parameters, and formulation of erosion models adequate for digital representation of spatially distributed parameters. Regularized spline with tension was integrated within a GIS for computation of DEMs and topographic parameters from digitized contours or other point elevation data. For construction of flow lines and computation of upslope contributing areas an algorithm based on vector-grid approach was developed. The spatial distribution of areas with topographic potential for erosion or deposition was then modelled using the approach based on the unit stream power and directional derivatives of surface representing the sediment transport capacity. The methods presented are illustrated on study areas in central Illinois and the Yakima Ridge, Washington.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMitasova, Helena; Iverson, Louis R. 1996. Modelling topographic potential for erosion and deposition using GIS. International Journal of Geographical Information Systems. 10(5): 629-641.
- Effects of DEM source and resolution on WEPP hydrologic and erosion simulation: A case study of two forest watersheds in northern Idaho
- Rill erosion rates in burned forests
- Modeling erosion on steep sagebrush rangeland before and after prescribed fire
XML: View XML