Skip to Main Content
Modeling and validating the grabbing forces of hydraulic log grapples used in forest operationsAuthor(s): Jingxin Wang; Chris B. LeDoux; Lihai Wang
Source: International Journal of Forest Engineering. 16(1): 77-85.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (199.53 KB)
DescriptionThe grabbing forces of log grapples were modeled and analyzed mathematically under operating conditions when grabbing logs from compact log piles and from bunch-like log piles. The grabbing forces are closely related to the structural parameters of the grapple, the weight of the grapple, and the weight of the log grabbed. An operational model grapple was designed and tested to validate grabbing forces of the mathematical models while grabbing logs from five alternative diameter classes under two different working conditions. The working conditions and log sizes affected the grabbing forces significantly. Validation results suggest that the mathematical models developed can be used to estimate the grabbing forces required in the design process of log grapples. The results can be used by equipment manufacturers and researchers involved in the engineering design of grapples used in harvesting operations.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWang, Jingxin; LeDoux, Chris B.; Wang, Lihai. 2003. Modeling and validating the grabbing forces of hydraulic log grapples used in forest operations. International Journal of Forest Engineering. 16(1): 77-85.
Keywordsgrabbing forces, log grapples, logging, forest operations, equipment manufacturing
- Mechanized systems for harvesting eastern hardwoods
- Estimating load weights with Huber's Cubic Volume formula: a field trial.
- Deriving Forest Harvesting Machine Productivity from Positional Data
XML: View XML