Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Bucking logs to cable yarder capacity can decrease yarding costs and minimize wood wastageAuthor(s): Chris B. LeDoux
Source: Southern Journal of Applied Forestry. 10: 180-183.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (131.24 KB)
DescriptionData from select time and motions studies and a forest model plot, used in a simulation model, show that logging managers planning felling, bucking, and limbing for a cable yarding operation must consider the effect of alternate bucking rules on wood wastage, yarding production rates and cost, the number of choker to fly and total logging costs. Results emphasize then need to consider initial logging activities in terms of effects on cable yarding system efficiencies and wood wastage. Results also emphasize the need to match payload (piece size) to cable yarder capacity. Results suggest that cable yarding costs can be decreased by 20 to 32% by simply bucking logs to yarder capacity.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLeDoux, Chris B. 1986. Bucking logs to cable yarder capacity can decrease yarding costs and minimize wood wastage. Southern Journal of Applied Forestry. 10: 180-183.
- Computer planning tools applied to a cable logging research study
- Shift level analysis of cable yarder availability, utilization, and productive time
- Yarding cost for the Koller K300 cable yarder: results from field trials and simulations
XML: View XML