Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Computerized algorithms for partial cutsAuthor(s): R.L. Ernst; S.L. Stout
Source: In: McCormick, Larry H.; Gottschalk, Kurt W., eds. Proceedings, 8th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 1991 March 4-6; University Park, PA. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-148. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station: 132-147.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (949.55 KB)
DescriptionStand density, stand structure (diameter distribution), and species composition are all changed by intermediate treatments in forest stands. To use computer stand-growth simulators to assess the effects of different treatments on stand growth and development, users must be able to duplicate silviculturally realistic treatments in the simulator. In this paper, we review the computer algorithms for partial cuts associated with the FBER, NE-TWIGS, OAKSIM, SILVAH and YIELD-MS computer programs. We assess these algorithms with respect to flexibility, comprehensiveness, and their ability to mimic cuts prescribed in management guides for timber production. The paper also suggests directions for developing a new algorithm that incorporates the strengths of several of the existing algorithms.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationErnst, R.L.; Stout, S.L. 1991. Computerized algorithms for partial cuts. In: McCormick, Larry H.; Gottschalk, Kurt W., eds. Proceedings, 8th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 1991 March 4-6; University Park, PA. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-148. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station: 132-147.
- Simulating Silvicultural Treatments Using FIA Data
- Simulation of dynamics of southern pine beetle hazard rating with respect to silvicultural treatment and stand development
- ALPS yield optimization cutting program
XML: View XML