Skip to Main Content
Bringing the northern forest to your classroomAuthor(s): Mark J. Twery; Sandra J. Hildreth; Celia A. Evans
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-21. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 59 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (1.31 MB)
DescriptionIn recent years the Forest Service has reemphasized the need for increased environmental literacy among the Nation's citizens and has recognized the benefits of addressing that need among school-age children. This publication is a product of an Adirondack Curriculum Project workshop sponsored by the USDA Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station, and Paul Smith's College. The workshop was held at Great Camp Sagamore in Raquette Lake, NY, in June 2005. Great Camp Sagamore is operated by the Sagamore Institute, which is dedicated to the stewardship of the camp and to its use for educational and interpretive purposes. For 2 days, 22 teachers met with resource professionals with expertise in either the Northern Forest or in teaching methods and techniques, or both, and developed the lesson plans in this publication.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTwery, Mark J.; Hildreth, Sandra J.; Evans, Celia A. 2008. Bringing the northern forest to your classroom. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-21. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 59 p.
Keywordsenvironmental education, constructivism, place-based learning, curriculum units, Adirondacks, environmental literacy, lesson plans
- Collaborative management and research in the Great Basin - examining the issues and developing a framework for action
- Proceedings of the Southern States Recreation Research Applications Workshop
- Connecting Latinos with nature
XML: View XML