Skip to Main Content
Users Guide to VSMOKE-GIS for WorkstationsAuthor(s): Mary F. Harms; Leonidas G. Lavdas
Source: Res. Pap. SRS-6.Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 45 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (3.8 MB)
DescriptionVSMOKE-GIS was developed to help prescribed burners in the national forests of the Southeastern United States visualize smoke dispersion and to plan prescribed burns. Developed for use on workstations, this decision-support system consists of a graphical user interface, written in Arc/Info Arc Macro Language, and is linked to a FORTRAN computer program. VSMOKE-GIS combines a graphics display of a forest with a dashboard of five icons. By clicking the mouse on these icons, a fire manager can interactively affect the appearance of a smoke plume. Once appropriate tiles have been created, more than one smoke plume can be viewed at once, and different aspects of the forest, such as stands of trees, rivers, or soil types, can be viewed together or separately. This users guide provides a complete tour of the VSMOKE-GIS, including a history of its development; a tutorial of the steps used in creating, viewing, and manipulating plumes; system definitions; descriptive figures; and instructions on acquiring and personalizing the system for an individual forest.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHarms, Mary F.; Lavdas, Leonidas G. 1997. Users Guide to VSMOKE-GIS for Workstations. Res. Pap. SRS-6.Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 45 p.
KeywordsPlume definition, prescribed burn, smoke dispersion, smoke plume, smoke plume parameters, VSMKGS, VSMOKE-GIS dashboard.
- Validation of smoke plume rise models using ground based lidar
- Program VSMOKE--Users Manual
- Validation of BlueSky Smoke Prediction System using surface and satellite observations during major wildland fire events in Northern California
XML: View XML