Skip to Main Content
Cutting mountain hardwood standsAuthor(s): Ralph W. Marquis; Sidney Weitzman; Carl J. Holcomb
Source: Station Paper NE-73. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 19 p.
Publication Series: Science Perspectives (SP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (4.62 MB)
DescriptionOn the Fernow Experimental Forest in West Virginia, as on several other experimental forests in the Northeast, studies are being conducted to compare the biologic and economic results of different methods of forest management. The experiments are being carried out on compartments varying in size from 50 t o 150 acres. Such areas are large enough to permit the simulation of commercial logging operations. The treatments applied to these compartments are designed to encompass different silvicultural systems, different product objectives, and different intensities of forest management. Essentially they are long-term studies.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMarquis, Ralph W.; Weitzman, Sidney; Holcomb, Carl J. 1954. Cutting mountain hardwood stands. Station Paper NE-73. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 19 p.
- Overstory species composition, structure, and conservation challenges of a mature, natural-origin pine stand after decades of management
- Intensive group selection silviculture in central hardwoods
- Results of small woodlot cuttings on Penobscot Experimental Forest, 1953 and 1954
XML: View XML