Skip to Main Content
Contribution of dead wood to biomass and carbon stocks in the Caribbean: St. John, U.S. Virgin IslandsAuthor(s): Sonja N. Oswalt; Thomas J. Brandels; Christopher W. Woodall
Source: Biotropica. 40(1): 20-27.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (317.58 KB)
DescriptionDead wood is a substantial carbon stock in terrestrial forest ecosystems and hence a critical component of global carbon cycles. Given the limited amounts of dead wood biomass and carbon stock information for Caribbean forests, our objectives were to: (1) describe the relative contribution of down woody materials (DWM) to carbon stocks on the island of St. John; (2) compare these contributions among differing stand characteristics in subtropical moist and dry forests; and (3) compare down woody material carbon stocks on St. John to those observed in other tropical and temperate forests. Our results indicate that dead wood and litter comprise an average of 20 percent of total carbon stocks on St. John in both moist and dry forest life zones.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationOswalt, Sonja N.; Brandels, Thomas J.; Woodall, Christopher W. 2008. Contribution of dead wood to biomass and carbon stocks in the Caribbean: St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands. Biotropica. 40(1): 20-27.
Keywordscarbon, Caribbean forests, down woody material, subtropical forests
- Contribution of dead wood to biomass and carbon stocks in the Caribbean: St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Contribution of Dead Wood to Biomass and Carbon Stocks in the Caribbean: St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands.
- A statistical power analysis of woody carbon flux from forest inventory data
XML: View XML