Skip to Main Content
Analyzing The Uncertainty Of Diameter Growth Model PredictionsAuthor(s): Ronald E. McRoberts; Veronica C. Lessard; Margaret R. Holdaway
Source: In: Proceedings, Society of American Foresters 1998 national convention; 1998 September 19-23; Traverse City, MI. SAF Publ. SAF 99-01. Bethesda, MD: Society of American Foresters: 319-324.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (690.21 KB)
DescriptionThe North Central Research Station of the USDA Forest Service is developing a new set of individual tree, diameter growth models to be used as a component of an annual forest inventory system. The criterion for selection of predictor variables for these models is the uncertainty in 5-, 10-, and 20-year diameter growth predictions estimated using Monte Carlo simulations. Particular attention is focused on the uncertainty in the model predictions that can be attributed to five sources of uncertainty: (1) residual variation after model calibration; (2) covariances for parameter estimates; (3) measurement error for diameter at breast height; (4) measurement error for crown ratio; and (5) measurement error for crown class. The cumulative effects uncertainty in model predictions for individual trees on the uncertainty of basal area estimates at the plot and regional levels are also investigated. For four Lakes States species. the results suggest that uncertainty in predictor variables has a non-negligible effect on the uncertainty of diameter predictions, but that these effects are attenuated when results are aggregated at the regional level.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcRoberts, Ronald E.; Lessard, Veronica C.; Holdaway, Margaret R. 1999. Analyzing The Uncertainty Of Diameter Growth Model Predictions. In: Proceedings, Society of American Foresters 1998 national convention; 1998 September 19-23; Traverse City, MI. SAF Publ. SAF 99-01. Bethesda, MD: Society of American Foresters: 319-324.
KeywordsMonte Carlo simulations, annual forest inventory
- Comparing the STEMS and AFIS growth models with respect to the uncertainty of predictions
- Estimating the Uncertainty In Diameter Growth Model Predictions and Its Effects On The Uncertainty of Annual Inventory Estimates
- Partitioning the Uncertainty in Estimates of Mean Basal Area Obtained from 10-year Diameter Growth Model Predictions
XML: View XML