Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
The world species of Balcha Walker (Hymenoptera: Chalcidoidea: Eupelmidae), parasitoids of wood-boring beetlesAuthor(s): Gary A. P. Gibson
Source: Zootaxa 1033: 1?62 (2005)
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (2.8 MB)
DescriptionThe world species of Balcha Walker (Hymenoptera: Eupelmidae) are revised, keyed and illustrated. Sixteen species are recognized, including two that are newly classified in the genus, B. reticulata (Nikol?skaya) n. comb. and B. splendida (Girault) n. comb., and eight that are described as new, B. \i>camptogastra n. sp., B. dictyota n. sp., B. enoptra n. sp., B. eximiassita n. sp., B. laciniosa n. sp., B. punctiscutum n. sp., B. \i>reburra n. sp., and B. reticulifrons n. sp. Evidence for the monophyly of Balcha is discussed and the 16 species are segregated into four species groups based on morphological features. Balcha indica (Mani & Kaul) is newly recorded from the eastern United States (Maryland, Michigan, Virginia) as an accidental introduction from the Oriental region and as an adventitious parasitoid of the emerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire (Coleoptera: Buprestidae).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGibson, Gary A. P. 2005. The world species of Balcha Walker (Hymenoptera: Chalcidoidea: Eupelmidae), parasitoids of wood-boring beetles. Zootaxa 1033: 1?62 (2005)
KeywordsEupelmidae, Calosotinae, Chalcidoidea, new species, world key, parasitoid
- Revision of the net-winged midges of the genus Blepharicera macquart (diptera: blephariceridae) of eastern North America
- Japanese Laricobius sp n, a promising biological control candidate for hemlock woolly adelgid
- Comparative taxonomy of desert truffles of the Australian outback and the African Kalahari
XML: View XML