Skip to Main Content
Estimating Uncertainty in Annual Forest Inventory EstimatesAuthor(s): Ronald E. McRoberts; Veronica C. Lessard
Source: In: American Statistical Association; 1999 proceedings of the section on statistics and the environment; 1999 August 8-12; Baltimore, MD. Alexandria, VA: American Statisitcal Association: 19-24
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (783.87 KB)
DescriptionThe precision of annual forest inventory estimates may be negatively affected by uncertainty from a variety of sources including: (1) sampling error; (2) procedures for updating plots not measured in the current year; and (3) measurement errors. The impact of these sources of uncertainty on final inventory estimates is investigated using Monte Carlo simulation techniques.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcRoberts, Ronald E.; Lessard, Veronica C. 1999. Estimating Uncertainty in Annual Forest Inventory Estimates. In: American Statistical Association; 1999 proceedings of the section on statistics and the environment; 1999 August 8-12; Baltimore, MD. Alexandria, VA: American Statisitcal Association: 19-24
KeywordsMonte Carlo simulation, Forest inventory, Growth model, Moving average
- Estimating the Uncertainty In Diameter Growth Model Predictions and Its Effects On The Uncertainty of Annual Inventory Estimates
- Partitioning the Uncertainty in Estimates of Mean Basal Area Obtained from 10-year Diameter Growth Model Predictions
- Effects of Measurement Errors on Individual Tree Stem Volume Estimates for the Austrian National Forest Inventory
XML: View XML