Skip to Main Content
Resistance to galling adelgids varies among families of Engelmann spruce (Picea engelmani P.)Author(s): William J. Mattson; Alvin Yanchuk; Gyula Kiss; Bruce Birr
Source: In: Lieutier, F.; Mattson, W.J.l Wagner, M.R., eds. Physiology and Genetics of Tree-Phytophage Interactions international symposium; 1997 August 31-September 5; Gujan, France. Paris, France: INRA Editions: 51-64.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (804.33 KB)
DescriptionCooley gall adelgids, Adelges cooleyi, and round gall adelgids, Adelges abietis, differentially infested 110 half-sib families of Engelmann spruce, Picea engelmannii at 9 study sites in British Columbia. There was a negative genetic correlation (-0.53) between the infestations of the two gall-forming species. Cooley gall abundance exhibited a negative genetic correlation (-0.66) with tree growth, whereas round gall abundance exhibited a positive genetic correlation (0.79) with growth. Heritability (h') of resistance against the adelgids averaged about 0.60 for Cooley galls and 0.20 for round galls.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMattson, William J.; Yanchuk, Alvin; Kiss, Gyula; Birr, Bruce. 1999. Resistance to galling adelgids varies among families of Engelmann spruce (Picea engelmani P.). In: Lieutier, F.; Mattson, W.J.l Wagner, M.R., eds. Physiology and Genetics of Tree-Phytophage Interactions international symposium; 1997 August 31-September 5; Gujan, France. Paris, France: INRA Editions: 51-64.
- The structure of genetic diversity in Engelmann spruce and a comparison with blue spruce
- Silvical characteristics of Engelmann spruce
- Oldest known Engelmann spruce
XML: View XML