Skip to Main Content
Determinant Product and Supplier Attributes in Domestic Markets for Hardwood LumberAuthor(s): Robert J. Bush; Steven A. Sinclair; Philip A. Araman
Source: Forest Products Journal. 41(1): 33-40
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (118 KB)
DescriptionProduct and supplier attributes that are critical in hardwood lumber purchase decisions (i.e., determinant) were investigated in four segments of the domestic market for hardwood lumber: millwork producers (Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) 2431), hardwood dimension and flooring producers (SIC 2426), wood household furniture producers (SIC 2511), and wood kitchen cabinet producers (SIC 2434). A total of 252 companies provided information. Determinant attributes were identified using the direct dual questioning technique. Attributes with the highest determinant scores were: grading accuracy, supplierâs reputation, freedom from surface checks, competitive pricing, and lumber thickness consistency. The least determinant attribute was the presence of the supplierâs logotype or trademark. Lumber users reported being least satisfied with the quality of the lumber they purchased. Lumber producers perceived that users were least satisfied with the availability of certain species. Differences in attribute determinance among the market segments were identified.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBush, Robert J.; Sinclair, Steven A.; Araman, Philip A. 1991. Determinant Product and Supplier Attributes in Domestic Markets for Hardwood Lumber. Forest Products Journal. 41(1): 33-40
- An assessment of the industrial markets for softwood clearwood lumber.
- The market for U. S. hardwoods in the United Kingdom: market needs and satisfaction with U. S. Products
- Integrated least-cost lumber grade-mix solver
XML: View XML