Skip to Main Content
Using satellite imagery as ancillary data for increasing the precision of estimates for the Forest Inventory and Analysis program of the USDA Forest ServiceAuthor(s): Ronald E. McRoberts; Geoffrey R. Holden; Mark D. Nelson; Greg C. Liknes; Dale D. Gormanson
Source: Can. J. For. Res. 36: 2968-2980
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionForest inventory programs report estimates of forest variables for areas of interest ranging in size from municipalities, to counties, to states or provinces. Because of numerous factors, sample sizes are often insufficient to estimate attributes as precisely as is desired, unless the estimation process is enhanced using ancillary data. Classified satellite imagery has been shown to be an effective source of ancillary data that, when used with stratified estimation techniques, contributes to increased precision with little corresponding increase in cost. Stratification investigations conducted by the Forest Inventory and Analysis program of the USDA Forest Service are reviewed, and a new approach to stratification using satellite imagery is proposed. The results indicate that precision may be substantially increased for estimates of both forest area and volume per unit area.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcRoberts, Ronald E.; Holden, Geoffrey R.; Nelson, Mark D.; Liknes, Greg C.; Gormanson, Dale D. 2006. Using satellite imagery as ancillary data for increasing the precision of estimates for the Forest Inventory and Analysis program of the USDA Forest Service. Can. J. For. Res. 36: 2968-2980
Keywordssatellite imagery, forest inventory, precision
- A Model-Based Approach to Inventory Stratification
- Stratified estimation of forest inventory variables using spatially summarized stratifications
- Evaluating Classified MODIS Satellite Imagery as a Stratification Tool
XML: View XML