Skip to Main Content
Perspectives of Maine Forest Cover Change from Landsat Imagery and Forest Inventory Analysis (FIA)Author(s): Steven Sader; Michael Hoppus; Jacob Metzler; Suming Jin
Source: Journal of Forestry
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.1 MB)
DescriptionA forest change detection map was developed to document forest gains and losses during the decade of the 1990s. The effectiveness of the Landsat imagery and methods for detecting Maine forest cover change are indicated by the good accuracy assessment results: forest-no change, forest loss, and forest gain accuracy were 90, 88, and 92% respectively, and the good correlation of mapped areas of forest cover loss with forest inventory analysis (FIA) tree size class decrease at the county level. The combination of annually collected permanent FIA plots with accurate statewide forest change maps offers a complementary perspective of Maine's forest resource.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSader, Steven; Hoppus, Michael; Metzler, Jacob; Jin, Suming 2005. Perspectives of Maine Forest Cover Change from Landsat Imagery and Forest Inventory Analysis (FIA). Journal of Forestry
Keywordsremote sensing, landsat, FIA, forest change
- Mapping forest vegetation for the western United States using modified random forests imputation of FIA forest plots
- Spatial Information Needs on the Fishlake National Forest: Can FIA Help?
- An efficient estimator to monitor rapidly changing forest conditions
XML: View XML