Skip to Main Content
Introduction to the Red Pine SAF Region V Technical Conference, March 26-27, 2002Author(s): Thomas R. Crow
Source: In: Gimaore, Daniel W., Yount, Louise S., eds. Proceedings of the Red Pine SAF Region V Technical Conference: Cloquet, MN. Staff Paper Series no. 157: 1-2
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (2.3 MB)
DescriptionResearch on managing red pine has been ongoing for some time and management guides that incorporate information resulting from this research such as Buckman's (1962) Growth and Yield of Red Pine in Minnesota and Benzie's (1977) Manager's Handbook for Red Pine have been widely applied. Despite this extensive knowledge base, critical information needs remain. Additional information about growth and yield, especially under managed conditions, is needed. Alternatives to single species and even-aged management are needed in which red pine is a component in forests consisting of multiple species and multiple cohorts. Red pine management needs to be considered within the broader spatial context of the landscape, and even at regional and global scales. And finally, much remains to be learned about the natural regeneration of red pine.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCrow, Thomas R. 2002. Introduction to the Red Pine SAF Region V Technical Conference, March 26-27, 2002. In: Gimaore, Daniel W., Yount, Louise S., eds. Proceedings of the Red Pine SAF Region V Technical Conference: Cloquet, MN. Staff Paper Series no. 157: 1-2
- Red Pine in the Northern Lake States
- A revised managers handbook for red pine in the North Central Region
- Specific gravity relationships in plantation-grown red pine
XML: View XML