Skip to Main Content
Automatic Color Sorting System for Hardwood Edge-Glued Panel PartsAuthor(s): Richard W. Conners; D.Earl Kline; Philip A. Araman
Source: Proceedings, CIFAC '96 International Symposium. 115-120.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (18 KB)
DescriptionThe color sorting of edge-glued panel parts is becoming more important in the manufacture of hardwood products. Consumers, while admiring the natural appearance of hardwoods, do not like excessive color variation across product surfaces. Color uniformity is particularly important today because of the popularity of lightly stained products. Unfortunately, color sorting of edge-glued panel parts is labor intensive and it is very difficult to obtain consistent sorts given the fact that different people have different perceptions of color. This paper describes an automatic color and grain sorting system that has been developed at Virginia Tech working in cooperation with NOVA Technologies. In its current configuration, the system examines both faces of a panel part and then determines which face has the "best" color given specified color priorities defined by management. The resulting system has undergone extensive plant testing capable of sorting red oak panel parts into a number of part classes. The system is currently being marketed by Sutton Woodworking Machinery Company.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationConners, Richard W.; Kline, D.Earl; Araman, Philip A. 1996. Automatic Color Sorting System for Hardwood Edge-Glued Panel Parts. Proceedings, CIFAC ''96 International Symposium. 115-120.
- Parts Color Matching Scanner for Edge Gluing - Research That Works
- Machine Vision System for Color Sorting Wood Edge-Glued Panel Parts
- Automatic Color Sorting of Hardwood Edge-Glued Panel Parts
XML: View XML