Skip to Main Content
Forest/non-forest mapping using inventory data and satellite imageryAuthor(s): Ronald E. McRoberts
Source: In: Proceedings of the ForestSAT Symposium, Edinbourgh, UK: Forest Research, Forestry Commission. [City, State: Publisher Unknown]. 9 p.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.94 MB)
DescriptionFor two study areas in Minnesota, USA, one heavily forested and one sparsely forested, maps of predicted proportion forest area were created using Landsat Thematic Mapper imagery, forest inventory plot data, and two prediction techniques, logistic regression and a k-Nearest Neighbours technique. The maps were used to increase the precision of forest area estimates by using them as the basis for stratified estimation. Estimates of mean proportion forest area were similar for all estimation methods, but the variances of stratified estimates were smaller than variances under an assumption of simple random sampling by factors as great as 6.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcRoberts, Ronald E. 2002. Forest/non-forest mapping using inventory data and satellite imagery. In: Proceedings of the ForestSAT Symposium, Edinbourgh, UK: Forest Research, Forestry Commission. [City, State: Publisher Unknown]. 9 p.
Keywordsk-Nearest Neighbours, logistic model, stratification
- Stratified estimates of forest area using the k-nearest neighbors technique and satellite imagery
- Stratified estimation of forest area using satellite imagery, inventory data, and the k-nearest neighbors technique
- The effects of imperfect reference data on remote sensing-assisted estimators of land cover class proportions
XML: View XML