Skip to Main Content
The effects of forest fragmentation on forest stand attributesAuthor(s): Ronald E. McRoberts; Greg C. Liknes
Source: In: Proceedings of ForestSAT Symposium; Edinbourgh, UK: Forest Research, Forestry Commission. [City, State: Publisher Unknown].5 p.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.15 MB)
DescriptionFor two study areas in Minnesota, USA, one heavily forested and one sparsely forested, maps of predicted proportion forest area were created using Landsat Thematic Mapper imagery, forest inventory plot data, and a logistic regression model. The maps were used to estimate quantitative indices of forest fragmentation. Correlations between the values of the indices and forest attributes observed on forest inventory plots were estimated. One interesting result was a statistically significant negative correlation between total forest area and number of tree species per unit forest area.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcRoberts, Ronald E.; Liknes, Greg C. 2002. The effects of forest fragmentation on forest stand attributes. In: Proceedings of ForestSAT Symposium; Edinbourgh, UK: Forest Research, Forestry Commission. [City, State: Publisher Unknown].5 p.
Keywordsinventory plots, correlation, species richness
- Assessing the Effects of Forest Fragmentation Using Satellite Imagery and Forest Inventory Data
- A Proposal for Phase 4 of the Forest Inventory and Analysis Program
- Application of two regression-based methods to estimate the effects of partial harvest on forest structure using Landsat data.
XML: View XML