Skip to Main Content
Relationships between forest fine and coarse woody debris carbon stocks across latitudinal gradients in the United States as an indicator of climate change effectsAuthor(s): C.W. Woodall; G.C. Liknes
Source: Ecological Indicators. 8: 686-690.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (345.92 KB)
DescriptionCoarse and fine woody materials (CWD and FWD) are substantial forest ecosystem carbon (C) stocks. There is a lack of understanding how these detritus C stocks may respond to climate change. This study used a nation-wide inventory of CWD and FWD in the United States to examine how these C stocks vary by latitude. Results indicate that the highest CWD and FWD C stocks are found in forests with the highest latitude, while conversely the lowest C stocks are found in the most southerly forests.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWoodall, C.W.; Liknes, G.C. 2008. Relationships between forest fine and coarse woody debris carbon stocks across latitudinal gradients in the United States as an indicator of climate change effects. Ecological Indicators. 8: 686-690.
Keywordslatitude, coarse woody debris, fine woody debris, carbon, climate change
- Woody detritus density and density reduction factors for tree species in the United States: a synthesis
- An empirical assessment of forest floor carbon stock components across the United States
- From Models to Measurements: Comparing Downed Dead Wood Carbon Stock Estimates in the U.S. Forest Inventory
XML: View XML