Skip to Main Content
Men's wilderness experience and spirituality: further explorationsAuthor(s): Paul Heintzman
Source: In: LeBlanc, Cherie; Vogt, Christine, comps. Proceedings of the 2007 northeastern recreation research symposium; 2007 April 15-17; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-23. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 55-59.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (285.02 KB)
DescriptionMost previous research on wilderness experience and spirituality focuses on women only or mixed male and female groups. This qualitative research study investigated the spiritual impact of participation in a men-only wilderness canoe trip. In-depth interviews were conducted after the trip with six participants. Interpretive analysis identified five themes: spiritual friendships, friendships facilitated by conversations, openness facilitated by the menonly group, spirituality facilitated by wilderness as God?s creation, and space for spirituality facilitated by wilderness.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHeintzman, Paul. 2008. Men''s wilderness experience and spirituality: further explorations. In: LeBlanc, Cherie; Vogt, Christine, comps. Proceedings of the 2007 northeastern recreation research symposium; 2007 April 15-17; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-23. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 55-59.
- Men's wilderness experience and spirituality: a qualitative study
- A qualitative exploration of the wilderness experience as a source of spiritual inspiration
- Research needs for a better understanding of wilderness visitor experiences
XML: View XML