Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Forest fuels treatments for wildlife management: do local recreation users agree?Author(s): Jeamok Kwon; Christine Vogt; Greg Winter; Sarah McCaffrey
Source: In: LeBlanc, Cherie; Vogt, Christine, comps. Proceedings of the 2007 northeastern recreation research symposium; 2007 April 15-17; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-23. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 132-137.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (372.12 KB)
DescriptionIn recent years, managers, policy makers and researchers, particularly in the social sciences, have worked to better understand the perspectives of homeowners, residents, tourists, and recreationists on wildfire and fuels management and how resource agencies can better involve these stakeholders in planning and implementation (Vogt et al., 2006). This research examined how one group of stakeholders, homeowners who participate in local outdoor recreation, viewed the relationships between fuel treatment approaches and improved wildlife conditions. Specifically, we studied hunters, anglers, and wildlife viewers who were also wildland interface homeowners in a three-county area of Huron-Manistee National Forest (HMNF).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKwon, Jeamok; Vogt, Christine; Winter, Greg; McCaffrey, Sarah. 2008. Forest fuels treatments for wildlife management: do local recreation users agree?. In: LeBlanc, Cherie; Vogt, Christine, comps. Proceedings of the 2007 northeastern recreation research symposium; 2007 April 15-17; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-23. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 132-137.
- Community views of fuels management: are national forest local recreation users more supportive?
- Residents' values and fuels management approaches
- Adapting to wildfire: Rebuilding after home loss
XML: View XML