Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
A Volume and Taper Prediction System for Bald CypressAuthor(s): Bernard R. Parresol; James E. Hotvedt; Quang V. Cao
Source: Can. J. For. Res. <b>17</b>: 250-259
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (227 KB)
DescriptionA volume and taper prediction system based on d10 and consisting of a total volume equation, two volume ratio equations (one for diameter limits, the other for height limits), and a taper equation was developed for bald cypress using sample tree data collected in Louisiana. Normal diameter (dn), a subjective variable-height measure applied to bald cypress (Taxodium distichum (L.) Rich.) in place of diameter at breast height (dbh), was found to be inferior to five different fixed-height diameter measurement points in terms of predicting total volume. Diameter measured at 10 ft (3.0 m) above the ground, termed d10 is recommended as a better diameter measurement point for bald cypress. A number of "goodness-of-fit" statistics were employed to evaluate alternative functions for predicting volume and taper. Two statistics, bias and sum of squared relative residuals, provided the best discrimination between functions.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationParresol, Bernard R.; Hotvedt, James E.; Cao, Quang V. 1987. A Volume and Taper Prediction System for Bald Cypress. Can. J. For. Res. 17: 250-259
- Diameter Measurement in Bald Cypress
- Long-term success of stump sprout regeneration in baldcypress
- Baldcypress Height-Diamter Equations and Their Prediction Confindence Intervals
XML: View XML