Skip to Main Content
The Amish furniture cluster in Ohio: competitive factors and wood use estimatesAuthor(s): Matthew Bumgardner; Robert Romig; William Luppold
Source: In: Jacobs, Douglass F.; Michler, Charles H., eds. 2008. Proceedings, 16th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 2008 April 8-9; West Lafayette, IN. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-24. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 130-138.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (215.16 KB)
DescriptionThis paper is an assessment of wood use by the Amish furniture cluster located in northeastern Ohio. The paper also highlights the competitive and demographic factors that have enabled cluster growth and new business formation in a time of declining market share for the overall U.S. furniture industry. Several secondary information sources and discussions with local manufacturers were utilized. Wood use for the cluster was estimated at 44 million board feet per year, a volume equivalent to 11 percent of the total volume of hardwood lumber produced in Ohio or 19 percent of the hardwood lumber used in appearancebased applications in the State. Although the Amish firms are highly concentrated within the Holmes County region, the typical firm is small in size (median of four employees).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBumgardner, Matthew; Romig, Robert; Luppold, William. 2008. The Amish furniture cluster in Ohio: competitive factors and wood use estimates. In: Jacobs, Douglass F.; Michler, Charles H., eds. 2008. Proceedings, 16th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 2008 April 8-9; West Lafayette, IN. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-24. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 130-138.
- Opportunities for development of local forest markets: the case of Amish furniture manufacturing
- How clustering dynamics influence lumber utilization patterns in the Amish-based furniture industry in Ohio
- Perceptions of firms within a cluster regarding the cluster's function and success: Amish furniture manufacturing in Ohio
XML: View XML