Skip to Main Content
Filling the gap: improving estimates of working tree resources in agricultural landscapesAuthor(s): C.H. Perry; C.W. Woodall; G.C. Liknes; M.M. Schoeneberger
Source: Agroforest Systems.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (372.99 KB)
DescriptionAgroforestry plantings and other trees intentionally established in rural and urban areas are emerging as innovative management options for addressing resource issues and achieving landscapelevel goals. An understanding of the ecosystem services contributed by these and future plantings would provide critical information to policy and program developers, and a comprehensive inventory would contribute to estimating the cumulative effects of these plantings. Trees used in these practices are not explicitly inventoried by the primary national forest resource inventory of the United States: the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program of the USDA Forest Service. The FIA program currently limits its inventories to trees in forests meeting specific size and density criteria, but the draft FIA Strategic Plan suggests the addition of an "other treed land inventory" (excluding urban forests). In this study, we use FIA data to estimate the agroforestry and other tree resources of the Midwest and document some obstacles to effective inventories of agroforestry practices.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPerry, C.H.; Woodall, C.W.; Liknes, G.C.; Schoeneberger, M.M. 2008. Filling the gap: improving estimates of working tree resources in agricultural landscapes. Agroforest Systems.
Keywordsinventory, land use, monitoring, natural resources, policy
- Inventorying trees in agricultural landscapes: towards an accounting of working trees
- Inventorying trees in agricultural landscapes: toward an accounting of working trees
- Assessing tree cover in agricultural landscapes using high-resolution aerial imagery
XML: View XML