Skip to Main Content
Reserve design to maximize species persistenceAuthor(s): Robert G. Haight; Laurel E. Travis
Source: Environmental Modeling & Assessment. 13: 243-253.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (238.32 KB)
DescriptionWe develop a reserve design strategy to maximize the probability of species persistence predicted by a stochastic, individual-based, metapopulation model. Because the population model does not fit exact optimization procedures, our strategy involves deriving promising solutions from theory, obtaining promising solutions from a simulation optimization heuristic, and determining the best of the promising solutions using a multiple-comparison statistical test. We use the strategy to address a problem of allocating limited resources to new and existing reserves. The best reserve design depends on emigration, dispersal mortality, and probabilities of movement between reserves. When movement probabilities are symmetric, the best design is to expand a subset of reserves to equal size to exhaust the habitat budget. When movement probabilities are not symmetric, the best design does not expand reserves to equal size and is strongly affected by movement probabilities and emigration rates. We use commercial simulation software to obtain our results.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHaight, Robert G.; Travis, Laurel E. 2008. Reserve design to maximize species persistence. Environmental Modeling & Assessment. 13: 243-253.
Keywordsoptimization, population viability, reserve site selection, resource allocation, search heuristic, simulation optimization, stochastic population model
- Designing Species Translocation Strategies When Populaton Growth and Future Funding Are Uncertain
- A transportation-scheduling system for managing silvicultural projects
- A spatial stochastic programming model for timber and core area management under risk of fires
XML: View XML