Skip to Main Content
Multistage point relascope and randomized branch sampling for downed coarse woody debris estimationAuthor(s): Jeffrey H. Gove; Mark J. Ducey; Harry T. Valentine
Source: Forest Ecology and Mangement. 155: 153-162.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (115.67 KB)
DescriptionNew sampling methods have recently been introduced that allow estimation of downed coarse woody debris using an angle gauge, or relascope. The theory behind these methods is based on sampling straight pieces of downed coarse woody debris. When pieces deviate from this ideal situation, auxillary methods must be employed. We describe a two-stage procedure where the relascope is used to select pieces of downed coarse woody debris in the first stage. If the pieces so chosen on the first stage have multiple branches and detailed estimates are required for the entire piece, then a second stage sample is advocated using the randomized branch technique. Both techniques are reviewed and an example is given examining possible surrogate variables for the second stage.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGove, Jeffrey H.; Ducey, Mark J.; Valentine, Harry T. 2002. Multistage point relascope and randomized branch sampling for downed coarse woody debris estimation. Forest Ecology and Mangement. 155: 153-162.
Keywordsangle gauge sampling, inventory methods, probability proportional to size sampling
- Critical point relascope sampling for unbiased volume estimation of downed coarse woody debris
- Handbook for inventorying downed woody material
- Critical length sampling: a method to estimate the volume of downed coarse woody debris
XML: View XML