Skip to Main Content
U.S. hardwood lumber production: 1963 to 2003Author(s): William Luppold; Matthew Bumgardner
Source: In: Jacobs, Douglass F.; Michler, Charles H., eds. 2008. Proceedings, 16th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 2008 April 8-9; West Lafayette, IN. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-24. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 157-165.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (265.42 KB)
DescriptionBetween 1963 and 2003 northern hardwood lumber production more than doubled while production in the southern regions increased by less than 25 percent. In 1963 the major users of hardwood lumber were the furniture manufacturers located in the southeast region, and hardwood flooring producers located in the south central region. By contrast more than 60 percent of the kitchen cabinet and pallet industries were located in the northern region. Decreased production of flooring, increased concentration of the furniture industry in the southeast region, and increased production of pallets resulted in production plummeting in the south central region, while increasing in the northeast, north central, and southeast regions.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLuppold, William; Bumgardner, Matthew 2008. U.S. hardwood lumber production: 1963 to 2003. In: Jacobs, Douglass F.; Michler, Charles H., eds. 2008. Proceedings, 16th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 2008 April 8-9; West Lafayette, IN. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-24. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 157-165.
- Regional analysis of hardwood lumber production: 1963 - 2005
- 40 years of hardwood lumber comsumption: 1963 to 2002
- Procedures used to estimate hardwood lumber consumption from 1963 to 2002
XML: View XML