Skip to Main Content
Distribution and dynamics of hayscented fern following stand harvestAuthor(s): Songlin Fei; Peter J. Gould; Melanie J. Kaeser; Kim C. Steiner
Source: In: Jacobs, Douglass F.; Michler, Charles H., eds. 2008. Proceedings, 16th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 2008 April 8-9; West Lafayette, IN. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-24. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 187-193.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (292.95 KB)
DescriptionThe distribution and dynamics of hayscented fern were examined as part of a large-scale study of oak regeneration in Pennsylvania. The study included 69 stands covering 3,333 acres in two physiographic provinces. Hayscented fern was more widely distributed and occurred at higher densities in the Allegheny Plateau physiographic provinces versus the Ridge and Valley region. After partial overstory removal, the density and distribution of fern increased in stands that were not treated with herbicide. Herbicide treatments successfully reduced fern densities and created a 'window of opportunity' about 4 years post-harvest for the establishment of regeneration.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFei, Songlin; Gould, Peter J.; Kaeser, Melanie J.; Steiner, Kim C. 2008. Distribution and dynamics of hayscented fern following stand harvest. In: Jacobs, Douglass F.; Michler, Charles H., eds. 2008. Proceedings, 16th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 2008 April 8-9; West Lafayette, IN. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-24. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 187-193.
- Invasion of a partially cut oak stand by hayscented fern
- Using Roundup and Oust to control interfering understories in Allegheny hardwood stands
- Control of hay-scented and New York ferns with Oust Xp® herbicide: Revisiting rate and timing required in mixed oak and northern hardwood stands
XML: View XML