Skip to Main Content
Dominant height-based height-diameter equations for trees in southern IndianaAuthor(s): John A., Jr. Kershaw; Robert C. Morrissey; Douglass F. Jacobs; John R. Seifert; James B. McCarter
Source: In: Jacobs, Douglass F.; Michler, Charles H., eds. 2008. Proceedings, 16th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 2008 April 8-9; West Lafayette, IN. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-24. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 341-355.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (552.33 KB)
DescriptionHeight-diameter equations are developed based on dominant tree data collected in 1986 in 8- to 17-year-old clearcuts and the phase 2 Forest Inventory and Analysis plots on the Hoosier National Forest in south central Indiana. Two equation forms are explored: the basic, three-parameter Chapman-Richards function, and a modification of the three-parameter equation incorporating dominant canopy height as a surrogate variable for stand age and site quality. For most species or species groups, the modified equation provided a better fit to the height-diameter data than the standard form. Data from two followup studies in clearcuts collected between 2003 and 2006 were used to assess performance of the height-diameter equations.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKershaw, John A., Jr.; Morrissey, Robert C.; Jacobs, Douglass F.; Seifert , John R.; McCarter, James B. 2008. Dominant height-based height-diameter equations for trees in southern Indiana. In: Jacobs, Douglass F.; Michler, Charles H., eds. 2008. Proceedings, 16th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 2008 April 8-9; West Lafayette, IN. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-24. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 341-355.
- A 3-point derivation of dominant tree height equations
- Tree height estimation in redwood/Douglas-fir stands in Mendocino County
- Calibration of d.b.h.-height equations for southern hardwoods
XML: View XML