Skip to Main Content
Ecological modeling for forest management in the Shawnee National ForestAuthor(s): Richard G. Thurau; J.F. Fralish; S. Hupe; B. Fitch; A.D. Carver
Source: In: Jacobs, Douglass F.; Michler, Charles H., eds. 2008. Proceedings, 16th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 2008 April 8-9; West Lafayette, IN. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-24. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 374-385.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1022.94 KB)
DescriptionLand managers of the Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois are challenged to meet the needs of a diverse populace of stakeholders. By classifying National Forest holdings into management units, U.S. Forest Service personnel can spatially allocate resources and services to meet local management objectives. Ecological Classification Systems predict ecological site conditions based on biotic and/or abiotic factors. Ecological Land Types were identified and mapped for the Illinois Ozark Hills subsection in a geographic information system to provide land managers with a tool for incorporating ecological characteristics into decisionmaking processes. Results are presented as mapping units and written descriptions that describe ecological characteristics based on physiographic land forms and soil characteristics.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationThurau, Richard G.; Fralish, J.F.; Hupe, S.; Fitch, B.; Carver, A.D. 2008. Ecological modeling for forest management in the Shawnee National Forest. In: Jacobs, Douglass F.; Michler, Charles H., eds. 2008. Proceedings, 16th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 2008 April 8-9; West Lafayette, IN. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-24. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 374-385.
- Terrestrial Ecological Unit Inventory technical guide
- USDA Forest Service section, subsection, and landtype descriptions for southeastern Ohio
- Using terrestrial ecosystem survey data to identify potential habitat for the Mexican spotted owl on National Forest System lands: a pilot study
XML: View XML