Skip to Main Content
Compensating for missing plot observations inforest inventory estimationAuthor(s): Ronald E. McRoberts
Source: Canadian Journal of Forest Research 33:1990-1997
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.14 MB)
DescriptionThe Enhanced Forest Inventory and Analysis program of the U.S. Forest Service has established a nationwide array of permanent field plots, each representing approximately 2400 ha. Each plot has been assigned to one of five interpenetrating, nonoverlapping panels, with one panel selected for measurement on a rotating basis each year. As with most large surveys, observations for some plots are not obtained. Several techniques for dealing with missing observations were compared with respect to the bias and precision of stratified estimates of mean volume per unit area using data from the State of Indiana in the north-central region of the United States for illustrative purposes. For the proportion of missing plots ranging from 1% to 10%, acceptable results were obtained for techniques that both ignored and replaced missing plot observations, but only when the techniques accounted for differences between plots in private and public ownerships.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcRoberts, Ronald E. 2003. Compensating for missing plot observations inforest inventory estimation. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 33:1990-1997
- Strategies to compensate for the effects of nonresponse on forest carbon baseline estimates from the national forest inventory of the United States
- Evaluating Multiple Imputation Models for the Southern Annual Forest Inventory
- The use of multiple imputation in the Southern Annual Forest Inventory System
XML: View XML