Skip to Main Content
Carbon in down woody materials of eastern U.S. forestsAuthor(s): David C. Chojnacky; Robert A. Mickler; Linda S. Heath
Source: In: Proceedings of second annual conference on carbon sequestration: developing & validating the technology base to reduce carbon intensity. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Energy, National Energy Technology Laboratory. [CD-ROM].
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (387.42 KB)
DescriptionTo better manage global carbon storage and other ecosystem processes, there is a need for accessible carbon data on components of down woody materials (DWM) in forests. We examined the feasibility of linking available data on DWM to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Forest Inventory Analysis (FIA) database, which covers the nation's forest lands. We developed regression models to predict coarse woody material (CWM), fine woody material (FWM), litter, duff, and shrub/herb cover for extension to FIA's network of about 100,000 plots in the eastern U.S.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChojnacky, David C.; Mickler, Robert A.; Heath, Linda S. 2003. Carbon in down woody materials of eastern U.S. forests. In: Proceedings of second annual conference on carbon sequestration: developing & validating the technology base to reduce carbon intensity. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Energy, National Energy Technology Laboratory. [CD-ROM].
- Estimates of Down Woody Materials in Eastern US Forests
- Estimating forest floor fuels in eastern U.S. forests
- Down woody materials as an indicator of wildlife habitat, fuels, and carbon stocks of the United States
XML: View XML