Skip to Main Content
The National Inventory of Down Woody Materials: Methods, Outputs, and Future DirectionsAuthor(s): Christopher W. Woodall
Source: In; Proceedings, Society of American Foresters 2002 National Convention; 2002 October 5-9; Winston Salem, NC SAF Publ. 03-01. Bethesda, MD: Society of American Foresters: 87-91
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (373.03 KB)
DescriptionThe Forest Inventory and Analysis Program (FIA) of the USDA Forest Service conducts a national inventory of forests of the United States. A subset of FIA permanent inventory plots are sampled every year for numerous forest health indicators ranging fiom soils to understory vegetation. Down woody material (DWM) is an FIA indicator that refines estimation of forest structural diversity, forest area fuel loadings, and national carbon sources. DWM comprise fine woody debris, coarse woody debris, slash piles, duff, litter, and shrub/herbs. Components of DWM are sampled using planar intercept methodologies, fixed-radius sampling, and point sampling. DWM data analyses produce core tables, regional/national reports, wildlife habitat assessments, and fuel maps. The DWM inventory began in 2001 and is currently implemented in 38 states.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWoodall, Christopher W. 2003. The National Inventory of Down Woody Materials: Methods, Outputs, and Future Directions. In; Proceedings, Society of American Foresters 2002 National Convention; 2002 October 5-9; Winston Salem, NC SAF Publ. 03-01. Bethesda, MD: Society of American Foresters: 87-91
KeywordsForest inventory, down woody materials, fine woody, coarse woody, planar intercept
- Sampling protocol, estimation, and analysis procedures for the down woody materials indicator of the FIA program
- Down woody materials as an indicator of wildlife habitat, fuels, and carbon stocks of the United States
- Attributes of down woody materials in hardwood forests of the Eastern United States
XML: View XML